March 3, 2017
City of Seattle – Urban Innovations Speaker Series
|West Coast Cities Seek Affordable Housing Solutions|
|DATE||Tuesday, March 7, 2017|
|TIME||5:30 pm – 7:30 pm PST|
|ROOM LOCATION||Level 1 – Microsoft Auditorium|
|SUMMARY||Are we the victim of our own success? Join the Seattle Office of Planning and Community Development for a panel discussion on affordable housing solutions.|
|DESCRIPTION||West Coast cities continue to struggle with high housing costs. Low- and moderate-income housing is difficult to develop given cost of construction and price of land. Yet successful, thriving cities are pursuing innovations that are creating thousands of affordable homes. Seattle has invited city planners from Vancouver, Portland and San Francisco to share what’s working in their efforts to support more affordable housing. And local experts will share their successes with innovative public and private strategies that address this need. Join the discussion as we identify intersecting strategies that address the affordability challenge.
• Gil Kelley, General Manager, Vancouver Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability
• Joe Zehnder, Chief Planner, Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
• John Rahaim, Director, San Francisco Planning Department
• Samuel Assefa, Director, Seattle Office of Planning and Community Development
• Steve Walker, Director, Seattle Office of Housing.
This panel is the first in the Seattle Office of Planning and Development’s Urban Innovations Speaker Series.
|NOTES||Library events and programs are free and everyone is welcome. Registration is not required.|